What is to be gained?Published 10:46am Friday, May 20, 2011
I’m a freshman at Kennedy Secondary School, and I recently read an article in the Fergus Falls Daily Journal, called “Chocolate Milk Under Attack.”
I’m disagreeing with this article, because if you eliminate chocolate milk from the Fergus Falls Schools, the kids will not drink any milk at all.
We are lucky the kids are drinking milk at all. If we end up taking their choices of chocolate milk away, the kids will start drinking the other drink options Kennedy Secondary has, such as Gatorade, Vitamin water and other choices which contain more sugar than milk.
Also, the milk contains nutrients we need, such as Calcium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin D.
After research for a class project, I have found that chocolate milk is prevention from heart failure, and should be consumed at least once a day.
I personally like chocolate milk, but don’t drink it at school. I drink one percent milk. The risk of taking chocolate milk away is that the kids won’t drink milk at all.
There may also be many complaints from parents because their kids won’t drink any other kind of milk besides chocolate milk.
The parents may also be disappointed because the other choices of drinks are a lot more expensive than the milk.
Parents will end up sending something else from home to drink, which may include pop, juice boxes, and maybe even Kool-aid pouches to put into water bottles.
Most parents understand that they want to make sure their children’s health is good and to encourage good choices. Just think, all of this potential catastrophe because some parents want to eliminate the chocolate milk from school.