Ashby festival has lots to doPublished 9:59am Wednesday, July 13, 2011 Updated 12:01pm Wednesday, July 13, 2011
With a different concept in mind than other area summer festivals, Ashby Appreciation Days is all about Ashby businesses thanking their customers for their support throughout the year.
“They say there’s no such thing as a free lunch, but Ashby is a place you can come to get one at Ashby Appreciation days,” said Mike Bovee, president of the Community Club.
On Saturday of Ashby Appreciation Days, which will take place July 15 through 17, there will be a free barbecue lunch beginning at 11 a.m. at the city park where around 600 people will receive a free lunch courtesy of local businesses.
Kicking off the festival on Friday, July 15 will be the first round of Ashby’s Got Talent at 6 p.m. at the school auditorium.
Saturday is packed with events including a 5k and 1k run/walk, bean bag tournament, Ashby’s Got Talent finals, free barbecue lunch, parade, softball tournament and street dance.
The city of Ashby will have an unveiling and dedication of a mural that will be presented outside of the grocery store.
The mural won’t be the only new thing at Appreciation Days. There will be a new mascot at the parade this year.
“They’re putting a lot of hype into keeping it a secret,” said Bovee.
Sunday’s events will begin with an 8 a.m. pancake breakfast put on by the local Lions Club at.
The festival will be concluded by a raffle drawing for cash. First prize is $250 and second is $100. More cash prizes and Ashby bucks are given through seventh place.
Below is a list of the Ashby Appreciation Days events.
• Friday, 6 p.m. — Ashby’s Got Talent first round at the school auditorium.
• Friday, 7 to 11 p.m. — Steak fry and Roger Gelipse performing at the Legion
• Friday, 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. — Soul Mates performing at Murphy’s Pub
• Saturday, 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. — Food Shelf breakfast at the American Legion
• Saturday, 8 a.m. — Softball tournament at Ashby school
• Saturday, 8 a.m. — 1k fun run for kids ages 4 to 9
• Saturday, 8:30 a.m. — 5k run/walk
• Saturday, 9 a.m. — Co-ed volleyball tournament at Ashby school
• Saturday, 10 a.m. — Kiddie parade on Main Street
• Saturday, 10 a.m. — Beanbag tournament at Ashby school
• Saturday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Free barbecue lunch at City Park
• Saturday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. — Ashby Has Talent finals at City Park
• Saturday, 2:30 p.m. — Pie and ice cream social at City Park
• Saturday, 4 to 5 p.m. — Live auction at City Park
• Saturday, 5 to 6:30 p.m. — Dinner in the park for the Ashby youth football program
• Saturday, 7 p.m. — Parade on Main Street
• Saturday, 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. — Ross William Perry performing at Murphy’s Pub
• Saturday, 8:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. — Outdoor dance at American Legion. Performance by Fuse
• Sunday, 8 a.m. — Pancake breakfast in City Park
• Sunday, 8 a.m. — Defibrillator training. Diabetes and blood pressure screening in City Park
• Sunday, 10:45 a.m. — Joint community worship at City Park
• Sunday, 12 p.m. — Raffle ticket cash drawings at City Park
• Sunday, 1 p.m. — Horseshoe tournament at Ashby horseshoe pits