Survey reviewed by wellness groupPublished 11:16am Thursday, December 8, 2011
The public is invited to attend our next Wellness Committee scheduled for 4 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 14 in the Otter Community Room at Kennedy Secondary School.
The agenda will include reviewing the nutritional value of each meal served, along with the results from a recent survey that was taken by 476 students and staff. This survey will provide the committee with data on which meals are favored by our consumers.
Upcoming music events
December is a wonderful month for music and concerts at the Fergus Falls Public Schools. The high school choir performs at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 12; the middle school choir performs at 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15; and the high school orchestra concert begins at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 19.
All concerts will be held at the Kennedy Secondary School auditorium.
The Otter Pep band or the “Notorious 9” will perform at games scheduled for Dec. 6, 9, 13, 15, 20, 22, and the Holiday Classic scheduled for Dec. 28 and 29.
Also, many of our ensemble groups and classes will be performing throughout the community. The Chamber Singers and Chamber Orchestra will be at the Security State Bank’s Open House 11:30 a.m. Friday, Dec. 9, followed by the seventh- and eighth-grade Honor Choir performing at 1:30 p.m., who will then perform for PioneerCare at 2 p.m., and at Broen Home at 2:30 p.m.
The Chamber Singers will perform at the West Central Area on Aging Annual Meeting at noon Wednesday, Dec. 14; Y’s Folk Christmas Lunch at the YMCA at 12:45 p.m. Monday, Dec. 19; and then tour the town on Tuesday, Dec. 20, stopping at Lakes Radio live spot, Noon Kiwanas, River Bend Apartments, Country Quilters, and the courthouse.
The Acappella Choir and Chamber Singers will perform at the Bank of the West’s open house at 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15; and will sing at Cleveland Elementary at their afternoon program Wednesday, Dec. 21.
On Dec. 20, the Concert Choir Women will be singing at McKinley school at 9:15 a.m., Adams School at 9:45 a.m. and PioneerCare at 10:15 a.m.
2012 public meeting
The School Board held a public meeting, formally called Truth in Taxation, to review the school districts 2012 tax levy.
During the meeting, the school board and administration will discuss the current budget and the proposed levy to determine the final tax levy for 2012. The final levy will be approved at the Dec. 12 School Board meeting.
Ms. Aho’s kindergarten class recently produced recipes for a holiday turkey dinner. I’m sure you’ll enjoy their work.
• Get a turkey at the place that has the big fish. We put it in the oven for 20 minutes at 200 degrees. Then we take it out of the oven and eat it with yogurt and salad.
• We eat chicken! We go hunting for chicken! We cook it for five minutes at 14 degrees. We eat apples and oranges with it!!
• My grandpa and grandma cook the turkey for 15 minutes at 100 degrees. Then we eat it with silverware. We eat pumpkin pie — I love pumpkin pie!
• First we buy a turkey at Fleet Farm. We put salt on it and cook it for 6 hours at 18 degrees. We eat it with grandpa and then I try to make a turkey out of Lego’s. That’s all.
• Mom and dad set the oven on 611 degrees and they cook it for 10 hours. We eat it with chicken noodle soup!
• My mom cooks pizza rolls in a hot oven. We have milk with them. It is fun!
• My mom and dad cook the turkey. It goes in “a lot hot” oven for 50 minutes. We eat watermelon and all kinds of stuff with it.
• We hunt for a turkey and kill it. Then we cook it in the kitchen for a long time till it’s burned — cause I like it like that. We just eat the meat … NOT the bones!