Adult reading program offered [UPDATED]Published 8:53am Friday, June 22, 2012 Updated 11:57am Friday, June 22, 2012
This summer the Fergus Falls Public Library is excited to offer lots of programs for adults. From June 4 through July 28 we have our Summer Reading Program (SRP). Participants are entered into a raffle every time they read three books, attend a library program, or answer a weekly trivia question.
This week we will be giving away a gift certificate to Northern Aire Lanes. The grand prize is a Kindle Fire. Currently we have 158 adults signed up for SRP, and they have read 201 books. Sign up for SRP and receive a coupon for a free used book at Biffley’s.
In addition to SRP, we have other great ways you can have a good time at the library. In June we chartered a coach bus and took 44 people to Shout!-a ’60′s themed musical in Moorhead.
Participants loved the singing and music of the play, as well as the convenience of the bus. One woman commented that the bus trip was “wonderful — please book another soon!”
The library is planning a bus trip in late September to the Minnesota History Center. More details to follow.
We also listened to award-winning mystery author Julie Kramer discuss her books and writing process, and learned from a professional photographer how to use digital cameras to improve our summer photos.
Both the Shout bus trip and Julie Kramer’s visit were funded by Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage fund Legacy grants.
In July, we’d love to see you at some of our upcoming programs.
• Tuesday, July 3, 6 to 7 p.m.: The informal Tech Tuesday Forum discusses iPads and tablet computers.
• Monday July 9, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.: Join our new book club for the first meeting. We will be discussing “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close,” by Jonathan Safran Foer.
This moving novel is a powerful summer read.
• Wednesday July 11, 6 to 7 p.m.: History Professor and author Mary Lethert Wingerd will discuss the interesting history of Minnesota’s origins. Mary won the Minnesota Book Award for her book, “North Country: The Making of Minnesota.”
This project was funded in part or in whole with money from Minnesota’s Arts and Cultural Heritage fund.
It is sponsored by the Fergus Falls Public Library and Viking Library System.
• Tuesday July 17, 6 to 7 p.m.: Sign up for our technology class introducing you to the iPad, including fun apps you can download. If you have an iPad, bring it with you, or try the library’s iPads.
• Wednesday July 25, 6 to 7 p.m.: Brian Horrigan from the Minnesota History Center talks about creating the traveling exhibit “Coming of Age: The 1968 Generation.” This exhibit will open Aug. 9 at the Otter Tail County Historical Society.
Please consult our Summer Reading Program website for more details and the names of our sponsors:www.fergusfalls.lib.mn.us/adultsummerreading.php
Katelyn Edds is the Reference and Adult Services Librarian at the Fergus Falls Public Library.