‘Early Underwood’ highlight of this year’s Harvest Festival [UPDATED]Published 10:50am Wednesday, August 29, 2012 Updated 10:50am Wednesday, August 29, 2012
This year’s 65th annual Underwood Harvest Festival is sure to bring back some local favorites.
Friday kicks off the fun activities with a steak fry at the American Legion starting at 6 p.m. Some of the big highlights from this year’s festival include “Early Underwood” at Foss Log Cabin. An open house from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 to 5 p.m. will provide a look into what Underwood was like in its early years. The big parade will start at 1 p.m. Saturday rain or shine.
All ages are encouraged to come out and enjoy these two event packed days.
Friday, Aug. 31
• Steak Fry at American Legion starting at 6 p.m. until gone
• Free family movie featuring Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer. Movies starts at 9 p.m. playing at the old football field, north side of town. Bring your own blankets and chairs
• Big Bopper will be selling popcorn, pop, and water. Sponsored by Park Region Mutual Telephone Co.
• Dance to “The Rockats” from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. at Marie’s Tavern.
• 7 Come 11 Fishing Tourney from 7 to 11 a.m. on Bass Lake, $20 registration, 2 people per boat. Guaranteed cash prizes with100 percent pay out. Limited number of boats accepted. To pre-register call Jerry at 218-826-6620.
• Cub Scout French Toast and Sausage Breakfast from 7 to 10:30 a.m. at Community Center sponsored by the Cub Scouts.
• Run for Education 5K/1 Mile Walk/Run. Registration at 8 a.m. on Main Street. Race starts at 9 a.m. Register online www.active.com
Search for “Run for Education” or contact Savanna Shebeck
at 218-826-6473. 50 percent of proceeds go to Trent and
• Used book sale from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Community Center. Sponsored by Women’s Study Club with proceeds to Scholarship Fund.
• Kids carnival from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. donated by The Rental Store
• Kids pedal tractor pull starting at 10 a.m., located next to
Centennial Park. All tractors and equipment furnished,
boys and girls, 4 to 11 years old with a $25 cash prizes given away by Underwood Lioness. Children 12 and under, register at Caboose, need not be present to win.
• “Early Underwood” at Foss Log Cabin.
Open house 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 to 5 p.m. Lunch and music
provided. Also a quilting bee, Sponsored by Woman’s Study Club
• Barrel rides for Kids in the morning and after parade.
• Sverdrup WELCA Dinner 11 a.m to 12:30 p.m. at Sverdrup Lutheran Church. Cost is $6 for adults, $3 ages 6-12, 6 and under are free the event is sponsored by Sverdrup ELCA.
• Marie’s Horseshoe Tournament. Registration at 11 a.m. $5 entry fee
• Sons of The American Legion beer garden and brats on the green, starting at noon until gone.
• Senior Citizens Tea, following the main parade at Community Center. Sponsored by the Underwood American Legion Auxiliary.
• Music by “Judd Erickson” after parade at Marie’s Tavern.
• Dart Tournament, starting at 7 p.m. at Marie’s with 100 percent pay back.
• Street Dance from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., featuring “Trip Wire” in front of the Fire Hall. This is a 21 and over event, sponsored by Underwood Fire Department.
• Queen coronation at 11:30 a.m. at Centennial Park weather permitting, otherwise at School.
• Pork chop feed at 11a.m. until gone, next to Farmers State Bank, Sponsored by Underwood Lions, proceeds go towards community projects.
• Crafters in the Park Region Telephone parking lot.
• Kiddie Parade 12:30 p.m. register at 12 p.m. at Centennial Park,
Sponsored by Underwood Lioness.
• Main parade at 1 p.m. held rain or shine
• Kids and adults’ Egg Toss following the parade.
• Bean Bag Tourney, room for 20 teams, registration at 3 p.m. or right after Egg Toss, behind the Legion, proceeds will go towards the Underwood Football Team with a top 5 teams pay out.