Chimney fire destroys living area of FF housePublished 11:16am Wednesday, October 10, 2012
The living area of a building behind 1906 West Alcott Avenue was destroyed by fire Tuesday night, the Fergus Falls Fire Department reported today.
Firefighters were alerted around 8:30 p.m. to a chimney fire at a building on the property. They arrived to find an approximately 2,000 square foot building with a heavy fire in the attic near the chimney of a woodburning stove.
The building contained a small living area and a large garage space, Fire Chief Mark Hovland explained. Firefighters, who worked against water access issues, power line proximity and a train on the railroad tracks near the property, were able to contain the fire to the building’s east side, above the living quarters.
“It burned out (of the attic) to the living area of the building,” said Hovland.
No one was injured, but everything in the living quarters is a total loss due to fire, smoke or water damage. Some tools from the garage side may be salvageable. Firefighters left the scene close to midnight.