Man convicted for writing bad checks [UPDATED]Published 10:25am Monday, November 5, 2012 Updated 12:30pm Monday, November 5, 2012
A Frazee man was convicted Oct. 29 of theft by check after writing 18 checks on his closed checking account, resulting in a total theft of about $2,400.
Gary Wayne Merrill, 32, will spend up to 18 months in the Minnesota Correctional Facility in St. Cloud, resulting in a minimum of about 170 days taking into account credit for time already served.
The checks written ranged in value from $30 to $205. Most of the checks were written to grocery stores, gas stations, liquor stores and bars in the Perham and New York Mills area but several were written to businesses in Pelican Rapids and Elizabeth.
The following is a list of people recently convicted of felonies or gross misdemeanors in Otter Tail County court, according to court administration. Others may have been charged or convicted and already reported on by The Daily Journal.
• Earl Harrison Coe, 65, of Eden Valley was convicted Oct. 29 of driving after cancellation – inimical to public safety, a gross misdemeanor.
• Nina Litvinov, 50, of Eden Prairie was convicted Oct. 29 of DWI – refusal to submit to chemical testing, a gross misdemeanor.
• Gary Wayne Merrill, 32, of Frazee was convicted Oct. 29 of theft by check for a value between $1,000 and $5,000, a felony.
• Kenneth Samuel Powers, 32, of Chokio, Minn. Was convicted Oct. 26 of knowingly violating predatory offender registration requirements, a felony.
• Mirsad Saric, 19, of Pelican Rapids was convicted Oct. 29 of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct involving a juvenile female between the ages of 13 and 15, a felony.