Fire may have been caused by electrical issues [UPDATED]Published 11:02am Thursday, December 27, 2012 Updated 11:04am Thursday, December 27, 2012
A fire early Wednesday morning that destroyed Ken’s Tackle, a local fishing landmark on the west side of Otter Tail Lake may have been caused by electrical issues, according to the Battle Lake Fire Department.
There has been no evidence found to suspect foul play.
A passerby reported smoke and flames were coming from the roof of the shop at about 4:20 a.m. The roof had already collapsed when deputies arrived, and the walls fell in shortly after.
Owner Gary Peterson received a call at about 4:30 a.m. that the building was on fire, but everything was gone by the time he arrived at the scene.
“It was an old building,” said owner Gary Peterson. “The interior was all wood, and the exterior was all wood, and it doesn’t take long for something like that to go.”
Ken’s Tackle has been the go-to place for bait and tackle on Otter Tail Lake since 1972. Peterson took ownership in 2005, and the business has been for more than a year.
“It was an institution out there,” he said.
Peterson has not decided yet if he will rebuild one of the area’s most well-known fishing stops.
“That decision is going to take some time,” he said. “We have to weigh our pros and cons first.”
The case is under investigation by the State Fire Marshall, and the cleanup process may not begin until a report is finished.
The Battle Lake Fire Department was assisted on the scene by Ottertail Fire and Ringdahl Ambulance.