Daily Journal and staff win newspaper awardsPublished 11:10am Friday, January 25, 2013
The Fergus Falls Daily Journal won six awards in 2011-12 Minnesota Newspaper Association Better Newspaper Contest. Awards were presented Thursday evening in Bloomington.
The Journal won the following newspaper awards in its size category in Minnesota.
• Second place in Editorial Page as a Whole
• Third place in Use of Photography as a Whole
Journal staff members won awards in the following individual categories:
• Kim Rosentreter took first place in Best Institutional Advertisement
Design (Minimally Invasive Surgeries)
• Ryan Howard and Debbie Irmen took third place for Local Breaking News Coverage (Apartment Fire Kills One)
• Ryan Howard took third for News Photo (Two injured in
• Joel Myhre took third place for Best Columnist
The following area newspapers won awards in their size categories:
• The Pelican Rapids Press for Advertising Excellence (first place), Use of Photography as a Whole (third), Headline Writing (third), Website (second), Self-Promotion or House Ad (first), Use of Color in Advertising (second), Social Issues Story (second), Business Story (first), Local Breaking News Coverage (first), Photo Story (second), Use of Information Graphics and Graphic Illustrations (second), and Best Use of Social Media (second).
• The Citizen’s Advocate in Henning for Use of Photography as a Whole (third place), topography and design (first place) and Portrait and Personality Photo (first).