New winter reading program begins [UPDATED]Published 9:24am Thursday, January 31, 2013 Updated 8:36am Friday, February 1, 2013
February is “I Love to Read” month and we’re celebrating with an all-new winter reading program for children, teens, and adults at the Fergus Falls Public Library.
Everybody in the community is invited to register at FFPL after Feb.1, for a chance to win fun prizes. We’re also celebrating this special month by offering a wide-variety of exciting events for all ages.
Children, ages 0 – fifth grade, will receive a special Candyland board game with 24 activities on it. After completing 10 activities children can turn their board in for a prize bag filled with a scratch-n-sniff bookmark, sticker, candy and more.
Some lucky winners will even win a free book.
Highlighted February family events include “Funny Fairy Tale Readers’ Theatre,” on Saturday, Feb. 9 at 10 a.m. and our “Elephant and Piggie Party” on Friday, Feb. 22 at 1 p.m. We’ll celebrate the end of “Sweet Reads” for kids with our life-sized Candyland game on Saturday, March 9, at 10 a.m.
Teens (grades sixth – 12th) and adults can participate in Sweet Reads winter reading by picking up a bingo board at the library.
The board lists tasks such as checking out an iPad or reading a nonfiction book. “X” the square for each task you complete until you get a bingo. Then turn in your bingo board for a chance to win a fun winter prize. Two teen and two adult winners will be chosen each week.
One of the tasks for teens and adults is to attend a library event. Check out some of the fun events we have for you in February:
• Wednesday, February 6, 6:30-7:30pm: Upcycled Valentine’s Day Cards.
Adults are invited to relax, chat with friends, and make fun Valentine’s Day cards out of upcycled materials. Ideas and materials provided.
• Tuesday, February 19, 7:00-8:00pm: Book Trivia Night.
Have a good time and show your book knowledge at our friendly competition. Come with a team or join one.
• Wednesday, Feb. 27, 6 to 7:30 p.m: I Love Pinterest Night. From 6 to 6:30 p.m: Pinterest 101 class; From 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.: Panel discussion with Pinterest users. Learn tips for getting the most out of this popular site and see projects made from Pinterest.
• Thursday, Feb. 28, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.: Movie showing of Argo.
A dramatization of the 1980 joint CIA-Canadian secret operation to extract six fugitive American diplomatic personnel out of revolutionary Iran. Rated R.
• Tuesday, Feb. 26, 4 to 4:45 p.m.: Tween Time — Bookmark Mania! (Grades fourth through eighth). Celebrate “I Love to Read” month by showing your books how much you care. Make them a cool bookmark (or two).
We hope you spice up your February by joining our winter reading program.
Katelyn Edds is the adult services librarian and Arielle Krohn is the youth services librarian.