Archived Story

Heating unit may have caused Underwood fire [UPDATED]

Published 8:32am Monday, February 18, 2013 Updated 8:33am Monday, February 18, 2013

 

A basement heating unit is believed to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a rural Underwood home Friday morning.

The home of 61-year-old Raymond Benhardus, along 255th Street in rural Underwood, was considered a complete loss. Smoke and flames were visible when firefighters from Underwood and Battle Lake arrived, but the fire was contained quickly, the Otter Tail County Sheriff’s Department reported.

The home was empty at the time. No injuries were reported.

The fire remains under investigation.

Editor's Picks

Second graders send letters to Santa [UPDATED]

Below are all the letters submitted from second graders at Fergus Falls Public Schools and Our Lady of Victory. Read more

A present from mom: Angel Tree brings gifts from imprisoned parents

On Thursday afternoon, members of the Freshwaters United Methodist Community from Princeton, Minnesota, drove to Fergus Falls to deliver gifts as part of the Prison ... Read more

Kettles hit $60K, more donations needed

The Otter Tail County Salvation Army red kettle fundraiser passed $60,000 Friday, but it still has a ways to go to meet its $90,000 goal. ... Read more

Pelican Rapids farm among state’s first solar gardens

Bison farmer and cheese maker Ed Eichten was rifling through his office, a cluttered monument to adventure. He was surrounded by deer antlers, statues of ... Read more