Orzo Stuffed Peppers
Published 12:02pm Wednesday, April 3, 2013
This beautiful dish is great for a lunch or light dinner served with salad/bread. I like to cut the peppers lengthwise as they seem to sit better in the pan. Baking each in its own ramekin makes for delightful presentation and ease of serving as well. I use 8 oz ramekins for half a pepper. Blanching the peppers for a few minutes before stuffing tenderizes them a bit, but retains a “bite” to them, making them easier to eat. Any color pepper is fine and any melting cheese of your choice as well. Enjoy!
Orzo Stuffed Peppers
- 4 large green/red/or yellow peppers
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 # bulk Italian Sausage or links with casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust for your taste)
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack/mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove stems from peppers, cut lengthwise and remove seeds. In a large pan, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; dry with paper towel and set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, cook the mushrooms and onion over medium heat in a large skille,. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from pan and using same skillet, brown sausage until it is no longer pink. Drain sausage and combine with sautéed mixture.
- Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add herbs/spices and mozzarella/jack cheese. Spoon into peppers.
- Place in a greased 9 X 13-in. baking dish (depending on size of peppers) or place each pepper half in its own ramekin. Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately OR if you wish – before baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 2-3 months.
- Reheating frozen casserole/ramekins: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake according to directions. Yield: 8 servings.