SummerFest equals SummerFunPublished 11:20am Wednesday, June 5, 2013
From newborns to nonagenarians, SummerFest should have something fun for everyone.
“We definetely want to make it family friendly,” said Emily Larby, a member of the planning committee. “So no matter what stage in life you are you can enjoy the event.”
A number of events will get kids active, including traditional games such as potato sack races featured by the Otter Tail County Historical Society on Friday will kick off the event. Kids can also enjoy pony rides, a barrel train, bounce houses, water wars and many more activities on Saturday.
A free kids area will offer crafts and games to young children from 9 a.m. to 11. After a visit to Otter Tail Telcom on Friday, Patrick Star from Sponge Bob Square Pants will also make appearances at different events.
Kids will have another opprotunity this year that hasn’t been offered for some time. Kids t-shirts with a checklist of activities will be for sale to keep track of the day’s events.
There will be a number of activities for adults as well. The annual dog show will start at 10 a.m. with registration an hour before. An adult class will be held for the first time this year. As in years past, food and craft vendors will have a number of unique items for sale.
This year’s event will also feature a “Man Cave,” for those who don’t neccesarily want to spend the day shopping. Equipement from different auto dealership will be on display and the Classic Car Club will have vehicles on display.
Additional events like Kirkbride tours and and presentations of Myths and Legends from the State Hospital will make for a busy day on the RTC grounds. For Larby, the main goal is continued success each year.
“We want to continue to make this a fun community event and continue to build each year to make it even better.”
Friday, June 7
• Otter Tail Telcom is excited to announce that Patrick from SpongeBob SquarePants will coming to Fergus Falls. Patrick will be at the Otter Tail Telcom offices located at 230 W. Lincoln Ave. from 1 to 3:30 p.m.
• Kirkbride tours
• Craft and food vendors – Beginning at noon
• Beer gardens by VFW Fergus Falls
• Live music
• Street dance: 4 p.m. Sophi Thiel, 6 p.m. Paul Christian, 8 p.m. HeatBox and Root City Band
Saturday, June 8
• Arts and craft booths start at 9 a.m.
• Many exhibitors for your shopping pleasure
• Merchant specialty booths with a variety of area merchants
• Live entertainment
• Various entertainment scheduled throughout the day, including: Dog show (registration 9:30 a.m., show starts at 10 a.m., new this year: adult class), Otter Tail County Historical Society “Myths and Legends, Stories from the State Hospital” tours at 10 a.m. at 1 p.m., Fractured Fairytales performed by the Fergus Falls Theatre Geeks at 9:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m., Edge Dancers 12 p.m., Fergus Falls Multicultural Percussionists, 1 p.m., firefighters water ball tournament 1:30 p.m.
• Kids Activities: Pony rides, barrel train, bounce houses, water wars, family activities and more; food booths; vendors featuring a wide variety of delicious food specific booths
• Parade, 6 p.m.
For more information, visit www.fergusfallssummerfest.com