Springboard for the Arts launches ‘Imagine Fergus Falls’ [UPDATED]Published 9:31am Thursday, September 12, 2013 Updated 11:31am Thursday, September 12, 2013
On Saturday, Sept. 28, Springboard for the Arts will launch Imagine Fergus Falls with a kick-off event at the historic Kirkbride building in Fergus Falls (the former Fergus Falls Regional Treatment Center). Imagine Fergus Falls (IFF) is a project that will foster community interaction about historic preservation and economic development in Fergus Falls through innovative arts programing, creative placemaking and community storytelling.This community celebration will feature tours of the Kikbride and a street dance in front of the iconic tower. The event is free and open to the public. The Imagine Fergus Falls Kickoff will feature a wide variety of activities that are fun for the whole family. Events include:
• Tours of the Kirkbride will begin at 12:30 p.m. and run until 3 p.m., led by local preservation group, Friends of the Kirkbride. No reservations are required.
• A family-friendly street dance from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., featuring the Lakes Area All-Stars, under the direction of former Fergus Falls band director, Jim Iverson. Many of the band’s selections were once played by Elmer Fikk’s State Hospital patients/employee group, The Happy Ramblers.
• The Fergus Falls Minnesota State Community and Technical College Choir, under the direction of Teresa Ashworth, will perform at the street dance.
• Visual artist Laura Youngbird will lead participants in creating a collaborative historical collage about the Kirkbride.
• Photographer Eric Santwire will shoot fun family/friend photographs.
• Food selections for sale from Don Pablos and BBQ from Forest Lodge Farms Catering.
• The Bureau of Urban Experimentation will set up a camera obscura and a writing contest.
• Attendees are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and picnic blankets.
For more information about the project visit www.imaginefergusfalls.com.