Park Leaf DaysPublished 11:25am Friday, September 27, 2013
The area’s best view of fall colors kicks off this weekend with Maplewood State Park’s Leaf Days.
The two-weekend celebration opens the park to visitors ready to see red, orange and yellow across the tree lines.
Starting Saturday, the park will feature a number of activities to celebrate the fall season.
The Friends of Maplewood will give wagon rides for easy viewing over the parks acreage.
Visitors can also view the color from their vehicles or on hikes over the park’s 25 miles of hiking trails.
Members of North Country Trail will also lead hikes starting at 10:30 on each day.
Other events will include instructions on how to use a GPS, drawing landscapers, nature photography, carving demonstrations and pioneer crafts.
Saturday will also feature a 50th birthday reunion for the park starting at 2 p.m. at the Josh Hanson Memorial Picnic Shelter.
There will be cake and the opportunity to listen to stories about living in Maplewood Township before it became a state park.
Leaf Days run this Saturday and Sunday, and will be back the next weekend on Oct. 5 to 6.
• State Hospital cemetery tour given by the Otter Tail County Historical Society in Fergus Falls, 5:30 p.m.
• Maplewood Park Leaf Days, all day
• Grace Lutheran Church of Erhard Fall Bazaar, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Soups on Fall Bazaar at Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Fergus Falls, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• National Public Lands Day at the PWLC in Fergus Falls, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Fall Bazaar at Bethel Lutheran Church in Fergus Falls, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Imagine Fergus Falls Kick-Off and Community Celebration on the grounds of the Kirkbride Building, 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• Fall Family Fest at Stavanger Church North of Fergus Falls, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• Maloney Twins Benefit at the Deer Creek Community Center, 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
• Free dinner and a movie at Pebble Lake Seventh Day Adventist Church in Fergus Falls, 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Maplewood Park Leaf Days, all day