Archived Story

Chimney fire damages house

Published 11:07am Monday, November 11, 2013

No one was injured after a chimney fire damaged a residence just southeast of Battle Lake Sunday, according to Battle Lake Fire Chief John Salvevold.

The fire broke out from a wood stove just before 8 p.m. in the 20400 block of Bonnie Beach Road in Battle Lake, on the north side of Clitherall Lake.

“It started on the outside of the house where the wood stove meets the chimney,” Salvevold said. “There were some leaves blowing into a little area where the chimney basically attaches to the wood stove.”

The house sustained a little outside structural damage and some smoke damage, but the house is livable.

Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour.

Vining Fire Department was also called for mutual aid but was canceled.

 

Editor's Picks

Recover Health opens branch in FF: Location is 7th for home care agency

Recover Health, a Medicare-certified home care agency based out of Minnetonka, has now opened a branch in Fergus Falls. This is the seventh location in ... Read more

7 state trail planned for area [UPDATED]

Public invited to Nov. 24 meeting The public is invited to learn more about the development of the nation’s longest hiking trail — which dissects ... Read more

What’s happening: Museum open house highlights weekend calendar

Flock to the Otter Tail County Historical Society for two days full of events. On Friday get your hand on fresh baked goodies during the ... Read more

Hunt provides once in a lifetime chance [UPDATED]

“This is more deer than I’ve seen in my life,” Louis Leyendecker said. Louis had come out to help his grandson Jared hunt for deer ... Read more