Fire dept. puts out smoldering cigarette [UPDATED]Published 11:41am Monday, January 13, 2014 Updated 11:42am Monday, January 13, 2014
Firefighters responded to a smoke smell Sunday evening at Riverview Heights apartments and used a fire extinguisher to put out a smoldering cigarette, according to Fergus Falls Fire Chief Mark Hovland.
Staff of the apartment building, located in the 200 block of North Sheridan Street, called the fire department after smelling smoke at about 7 p.m.
After firefighters conducted an exhaustive search of the building, they discovered the fire outside the building around the smoking area.
A cigarette fell on expansion joint material from the sidewalk to the building, and the smoke was drifting into the building.
Residents were gathered into the community room in case an evacuation was necessary, but they remained inside the building.