Take time for sweet readsPublished 10:09am Friday, January 31, 2014 Updated 12:25pm Friday, January 31, 2014
February is “I Love to Read” month and the Fergus Falls Public Library is celebrating with its Sweet Reads Winter Reading program.
This is the second year the library has offered “Sweet Reads” and we’re looking forward to another month of beating the winter blues with this fun challenge.
Sweet Reads runs from Feb. 1 through Feb. 28. Sign up at the library.
To participate, complete tasks listed on our custom BINGO board. Tasks range from “read out loud to someone,” to “check out an iPad” and “ask about our Digital Media Lab.”
Each task encourages you to have fun and discover what’s new at the library.
Sweet Reads is for all ages and you can play individually or as a family. Earn a small prize for a traditional BINGO or complete the entire sheet and win a free book.
One of the Sweet Reads tasks is to attend a library program. Here’s what we have going on during the month of February.
• Book Character BINGO, Friday, Feb. 28, 2 to 3 p.m.; grades K – 5th. Elementary school students are invited to play rounds of book BINGO for a chance to win free books. Snacks served.
• 2nd Saturdays: Happy Valentine’s Day. Saturday, Feb. 8, 10 to 11 a.m. Sweet books, crafts, and treats. A fun-filled family event.
• Book Bunch, Thursdays, Feb. 6 through March 20, 3:45 to 4:45 p.m., grades 4th through 8th. We will be reading “Powerless” by Matthew Cody. Registration is required.
• Baby & Toddler Storytime, Preschool Storytime, and Tot Cafe will follow their regular schedules. Please check online for days and times: ffpubliclibrary.org
Featured event: Join us Wednesday, Feb. 19, 7 to 9 p.m. for a special trivia night at The Spot. The library is co-hosting trivia with a book theme. Prizes go to the winners.
• Library book club meets Monday, Feb. 10, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. to discuss “Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons,” by Minnesota author Lorna Landvik.
•Friday, Feb. 14, 11 a.m. to noon, a Kindle Fire 101 class is planned. Learn the basics of using your Kindle Fire.
The Library will show a free movie Thursday, Feb. 27, 5:30 to 7 p.m. Sandra Bullock and George Clooney try to survive in space after an accident sets them adrift. Rated PG-13. This movie has been nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Call the library at 218-739-9387 for the title.
Friday, Feb. 28, 11 a.m. to noon will be an iPad 101 class. Bring your iPad and learn how to use it in this hands-on class.
Sign up for Sweet Reads at the library anytime in February.
Arielle Krohn is the Youth Services Librarian and Katelyn Boyer is the Adult Services Librarian at the Fergus Falls Public Library.