Burned house torn downPublished 11:19am Tuesday, February 18, 2014
A house, which has been vacant since October due to fire damage, on East Vernon Avenue was torn down Monday. The house sustained major heat and smoke damage from an electrical fire that began from a power strip in a bedroom in the basement’s northwest corner, according to the state fire marshal.
Monday, crews from Delzer Construction tore down the house, located at 501 E. Vernon Ave.
Nine people, including five children, were left homeless from the fire. However, no one was home when the blaze broke out and no one was injured. It was a passer-by that saw the fire on the evening of Oct. 19 and called 911.
Property owner LaMar Boettner is now in the process of transferring the property to the residents who were displaced by the fire.
“The renters are buying it,” Boettner said. “I don’t know what they’re going to do with it. It’s up to them.”
Though Boettner never went through the house himself after the fire, everything builders and the insurance company told him was that repairing it would not be economical.
“They just said it would cost more to fix it,” he said.
The family, which had renters’ insurance, just received the settlement from the insurance company a couple of weeks ago, Boettner said.
Residents of the house at the time of the fire were Rezija Saric, Mejra Babic, Baranislav Babic and Ahmet Babic, in addition to five children, ages 12, 8, 5, 2 and 1. The Red Cross and Salvation Army assisted them.