Once again, I find myself digging in my recipe box and pulling one out only to make myself giggle. As I review the recipe, I find a note attached from my dad’s cousin. It read, “My daughter-in-law, Sue, made the delicious caramel chocolate oatmeal bars for mother’s funeral. Hope you enjoy making them. Carol Ann.”
Seriously, what do I do, do I stalk people at funerals for bar recipes? The last bar recipe I shared was from my aunt’s funeral two years ago. This recipe would be from my great-aunt’s funeral from 10 years ago.
With all that said, it still is one of my favorite recipes because it has chocolate and caramel!
• 1 ½ cups flour
• ½ cup oatmeal – (I prefer quick oats to old fashion oats.)
• 1 1/8 cup brown sugar
• ¾ teaspoon salt
• ¾ teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/8 cup melted margarine (I use spreadable butter.)
• Mix together.
• Take ¾ of mixture and put into 9-by-13 pan.
• Pat down so it fills the bottom of pan.
• Bake at 375 for 10 minutes, then let cool.
• Next melt together the following:
• 1 bag of caramels (11 ounces bag-unwrapped)
• 3 tablespoon butter.
• 2 tablespoon milk.
• Pour caramel mixture over the cooled mixture.
• Sprinkle with 1 cup chocolate chips.
• Lastly, crumb the remaining uncooked bar mixture on top of the caramel and chocolate.
• Bake at 375 for an additional 10 – 15 minutes.
• Cool and serve.
On a side note, if you hypothetically melt a 16 ounces bag of caramels, no worries. Just let it cool all the way or chill before cutting. They might be a little runny from the caramel, but oh so good.