First Lutheran Church, located at 402 S. Court St. in Fergus Falls, will be hosting a pipe organ fundraising concert on Sunday, Oct. 6 at 1 p.m.
The original organ was installed in 1924 and rebuilt in 1972. The organ had 27 ranks, 1,870 pipes and two octaves of chimes. When the organ was rebuilt, the builder anticipated a future expansion, adding room for the addition of more ranks.
In 2012, the church completed its first step in the expansion and in 2017, the church made the decision to finish the second part of the project.
According to a member of the worship committee and church musician, Anne Taylor, the second part of the project involves adding eight more ranks, or voices, to the organ’s current 27. The new voices will include trumpet, clarinet, piccolo and zimbelstern bells.
The concert is free and will feature the church’s own musicians and include choral selections, organ and piano pieces, handbell music and congregational singing. A free-will offering will be collected to help with the expansion efforts.
Following the concert, refreshments and fellowship will be held in the church’s narthex.