Terry Allen Stewart was sentenced to a total of 53 months at the Minnesota Correctional Facility — St. Cloud on Friday by Seventh District Judge Barbara Hanson.

Stewart received a 31-month sentence after entering an amended plea of guilty Nov. 12. 2019, to the felony charge of failing to act or fulfill a requirement to register as a predatory offender.

The 41-year-old also drew a 22-month sentence for felony fleeing in a motor vehicle stemming from an incident that occurred Sept. 25, 2019, in Fergus Falls.

Stewart was given credit for time served of 104 days on both sentences.

According to court records, the incident in Fergus Falls began around 3 p.m. that day when Stewart was observed in a black Chevrolet pickup at Lakeway Market at 1810 E. Fir Ave. by a Fergus Falls police detective. The detective was aware that Stewart had an active warrant out for his arrest. In an attempt to affect a high-risk felony arrest, the detective pulled in front of Stewart’s vehicle and drew his service pistol, advising Stewart he was under arrest. At that time the detective observed an adult female in the front passenger seat, later identified as Jessie Rae Stewart, 30. 

Terry drove around the patrol vehicle and fled westbound on East Fir with the detective in pursuit. As he approached the intersection of Fir Avenue and Friberg Avenue it looked like he was attempting to make a right-hand turn. He lost control and left the roadway, entering an open, grassy area near Timber Place Townhomes. 

Terry continued toward the townhomes parking lot but crashed into a parked vehicle at 906 Timber Place. Both Terry and Jessie then fled the vehicle. The direction of their flight was pointed out to police officers.

A large presence of law enforcement arrived on scene and secured a perimeter around the townhomes and a nearby woodlot. After failing to discover anyone hiding in the woods, a team of officers searched 902 Timber Place and 906 Timber Place. Residents there indicated Stewart had been living at 904 Timber Place for about one month. 

Now concentrating on 904 Timber Place, the officers gave verbal commands and a female came to the door, indicating to them she was alone. The officers entered the residence along with a Perham K-9 unit, and searched it for the Stewarts. Jessie was found hiding in an upstairs bathroom. Terry was located in an upstairs bedroom closet. Stewart was observed to be striking the Perham K-9 and later struggled with the officers as they attempted to handcuff him. Stewart was eventually transported to Lake Region Hospital.

Five misdemeanor charges against Terry Stewart in connection with the Fergus Falls incident were dismissed by Judge Hanson.  

Hanson also sentenced Jessie on Friday to 30 days in the county jail after Jessie pleaded guilty to third-degree felony drug possession charge. She was given credit time served of 25 days. Stewart was also given a 20-year term of adult supervised probation.


Enter your email address and select the newsletters you would like to receive.

Load comments