Mathew HOlding Eagle | Daily journal

In the zone: Fergus Falls running back Parker Jacobs maneuvers through the East Grand Forks secondary to put Fergus Falls up by two touchdowns in the first quarter Tuesday at Otter Stadium. The Otters defeated the Green Wave 25-20.

In a Section 8AAA playoff battle, the Fergus Falls football team outlasted the visiting East Grand Forks Green Wave 25-20 Tuesday.

The Otters opened up the scoring in the first quarter as quarterback Ethan Olson found Cody Norgren for a 7-yard touchdown. Fergus Falls missed the point after to put the score at 6-0. The Fergus Falls defense would recover a fumble and the Otters offense would turn around and add six more points as Parker Jacobs broke loose for a 15-yard touchdown run. Jacobs would score again in the second quarter, this time from 2 yards out, and with a successful point after put the score at 19-0. The Green Wave would not be shut out in the first half as Julian Benson scored on a 1-yard dive. The point after was good and the score at halftime was 19-7.

Neither team could get anything going in the third quarter, but in the fourth a muffed punt by East Grand Forks was recovered by Fergus Falls, giving them short field. Jacobs would record his third rushing touchdown of the game as he took off for a 33-yard scoring scamper.

With the score sitting at 25-7, fans were preparing to celebrate an Otter victory but the game wasn’t without fireworks as the Green Wave battled back into the game late in the fourth quarter. Green Wave quarterback Sam Votava would find favorite target Nathan Willet for a 20-yard touchdown pass and on the next drive hit Willet again, this time for a 73-yard scoring strike. The Otters could not ice the game with four minutes left and allowed the Green Wave the opportunity to take the lead. But strong defensive play at the end of regulation allowed Fergus Falls to force a turnover on downs and seal the win.

“At the beginning, we were in control, credit to them they weathered the storm and played hard until the end,” Otters head coach Steve Olson said. “We had some kicking issues that we got straightened out but overall it was a fun game.”

The Otters will now travel to take on Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton in a 2 p.m. Saturday showdown.

“They’re the No. 1 seed and we know we have a tall test ahead of us and a short time to prepare,” Olson said.

In the teams’ previous encounter, D-G-F defeated Fergus Falls 40-0.


Enter your email address and select the newsletters you would like to receive.

Load comments