PELICAN RAPIDS — In a rematch of a high-scoring regular season affair, the Pelican Rapids football team used two fourth-quarter touchdowns to top the Frazee Hornets 22-14 Saturday.

The Viking took an early lead in the first quarter as quarterback McHale Korf snuck the ball into the endzone from a yard out. Pelican Rapids failed at their 2-point attempt to put the score at 6-0. The Hornets responded late in the quarter with a 1-yard touchdown of their own as Luke Tweeton took the ball in to tie the game. Frazee would make the point after to take a 7-6 lead.

The Hornets would expand their lead on their next possession in the second quarter as they broke an 82-yard run. Mason Newling would kick the point after to give Frazee a 14-6 lead. The score would remain that way as both teams went into the break.

The second half saw a pause in the scoring as neither team could put points on the board in the third quarter. Pelican Rapids would tie the game in the fourth quarter as Korf ran in his second touchdown of the game from 6 yards out and follow with a Korf 2-point conversion run. With 41 seconds remaining in the game, the Vikings would take the lead for good as Korf found receiver Jayden Rutherford for a 19-yard scoring strike. Pelicans Rapids converted a 2-point conversion to seal the deal late. 

“The winning drive was one for the ages,” Vikings head coach Dave Haugen said. “The drive covered 87 yards, used 18 plays and took just over eight and half minutes. Two fourth-down conversions kept the drive alive. I was really pleased with the composure our team showed on the long drive. The odds are really against being successful on drives that long.”

Johnny Ziebell led the Vikings in the ground attack with 83 yards on 17 carries, while teammate Patrick Pechtel led in tackles with 7 ½.

The Vikings will now take on the Barnesville Trojans in the section championship game at the Fargo Dome at 8 p.m. Friday.


Enter your email address and select the newsletters you would like to receive.

Load comments